The Harry S. Truman Little White House is situated in the Truman Annex neighborhood in the Old Town district of Key West, Florida. President Harry S. Truman visited this house during winters 11 times and stayed for a total of 175 days. The first construction of the house was in 1890 as the quarters for the first officer of the submarine base Florida naval station. The waterfront house also had a wooden duplex with Quarters A for housing the base commandant and Quarters B for housing the payments. Later, the naval authorities converted the entire house into a single family dwelling for the base commandant and they also acquired additional land in the front portion of the house.
When a new building was constructed at the station, the waterfront view got blocked by that building. William Howard Taft was the first American President to visit this house in December 1912. Thomas Edison also stayed in the house during World War I and he perfected around 41 weapons when he resided here for about six months. Throughout the World War II, the house remained as naval command headquarters.
When Harry S. Truman, the popular American President, finished 19 months of his term in November 1946, he became physically exhausted. Dr. Wallace Graham, personal physician of the President advised him to reside in a warm location and Truman came to this house in the same month. He visited again in March 1947 and continued it in the subsequent months of November and December, as well as February and March. Since Truman issued several official documents during his stay here, this house got the name, Harry S. Truman Little White House, since any house that the President stays and executes his functions is also considered as another White House.
The other major prominent personalities to visit the house were General Dwight Eisenhower, President John Kennedy, and Harold Macmillan, the British Prime Minister. The house became the property of the State of Florida to become a museum in 1987 and the authorities spent around a million dollars in 1990 to restore the house to the original appearance of 1949. The Little White House functions between 9 am and 4-30 pm daily throughout the year.